Gain the job-ready skills for an entry-level mainframe programming role. Mainframe computers continue to power many mission-critical, financial, banking, and government agency systems. You’ll learn about COBOL from its birth and through its evolution.
You’ll learn new features and aspects of the language, while also getting hands-on experience to increase your knowledge and abilities with COBOL as a whole. You’ll work with a variety of IBM, COBOL, and mainframe assets, project scenarios, including COBOL programming basics, TSO, ISPF, gaining practical experience with mainframe data management and software development techniques.
This Professional Certificate does not require any prior programming skills and is suitable for learners without college degrees. Upon successful completion of this program, you’ll have analyzed the real-world mainframe environment, reviewed mainframe assets and data, and presented and created a software development plan, giving you the confidence and the portfolio to begin a career as a mainframe programmer.
- Introduction to Enterprise Computing.
- IBM COBOL Basics.
- IBM COBOL Core.
- IBM COBOL Software Development Practices.
- IBM COBOL Data and File Management.
- IBM COBOL Basic Testing and Debugging.
- IBM COBOL Software Development Process.
What will you learn
- Identify the different architectural families, explain the enhancements for each architecture family and the functions of an operating system.
- Define the IOCP statements for the IOCDS and explain the concept of activation profiles.
- Explain the concept of a Sysplex and describe methods available for z/OS security.
- Describe the process of IPLing an operating system.