This MOOC teaches you how to program core features and classes from the Java programming language that are used in Android, which is the dominant platform for developing and deploying mobile device apps.
In particular, this MOOC covers key Java programming language features that control the flow of execution through an app, enable access to structured data, group related operations and data into classes and interfaces, customize the behavior of existing classes via inheritance and polymorphism. Learners will apply these Java features in the context of core Android components needed to develop Java programs and useful Android apps.
- Module 1: MOOC Overview.
- Module 2: Introduction to Android Studio.
- Module 3: Writing a Simple Android App Using Basic Java Features.
- Module 4: Control Flow.
- Module 5: Structured Data.
- Module 6: Classes and Interfaces.
- ModuIe 7: Inheritance and Polymorphism.
- Module 8: Android Calculator App Mini-Project Assignment.
What will you learn
- MOOC and the topics it covers and learning strategies needed to complete the MOOC successfully.
- How to write a simple Android app that defines variables using primitive Java data types.
- How to assign values to those variables, and output them to the Android display using Java classes and methods.
- Java classes and interfaces, focusing on data types, fields, methods, generic parameters, and exceptions.
- The creation of an Android app that implements a simple calculator, which provides features for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing numbers input by various means.