This course helps developers who want to build applications working in the background, by exposing you to using Android Background Service capabilities effectively. Services come out as the best option with backward app compatibility.
You will learn a variety of topics like starting and stopping your service, interacting with the background service and creating and sending a work request, exploring the lifecycle of your service along with understanding the security issues in using it. You will learn to use IntentService, which utilizes a worker or background thread to execute tasks. You will explore what’s new in the Background Service in Android Oreo and check out its limitations, and then overcome those limitations. You will then learn best practices and how to deal with problems and issues that might arise.
By the end of the course, you will have a strong foundation in background services in Android and will be able to build the function you need to ensure you won’t drain the battery excessively, compromise the user’s security, consume too much data, or hamper the device’s performance.
- Exploring background service in practical apps.
- Creating a background service.
- Working with intentService that uses worker thread.
- Interacting with background service.
- Exploring the lifecycle service.
- Background service limitations and work around.
- Troubleshooting background service.
What will you learn
- Delve into using Android background Service capabilities effectively.
- Get acquainted with the Main UI Thread, Worker or Background Thread, and Process, and understand how they are related to Services and their role in supporting Background Services.
- Perform longrunning tasks using background services.
- Use IntentService to execute tasks in your application.
- Pass data to a service and get back results from it.
- Master restrictions in using background services in Android Oreo along with workarounds such as using JobIntentService.
- Explore the lifecycle of your Service.
- Deal with common problems and issues that might arise when using the services in your live projects.